Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Hopeless Romantic


I wrote this over a year ago and just saw it when I finally logged back into my account. I added a sentence or two, but I definitely am still grateful for this man of mine, so I thought I'd share.

So, whether I want to admit it or not, I am a hopeless romantic. I live for the opportunity to get a love letter and flowers for no reason, to slow dance in the middle of an empty street, to be taken on a surprise date. I love surprises. I love cheesy love stories. I love holding hands at every moment it is physically possible. I love candle lit dinners and star gazing. I love seeing elderly people holding hands. I love cuddling. I love dressing up for dates.

I think it was the result of growing up watching chick flicks all the time. They may have become what I thought real life was like. Adding to it, when you're dating, those types of things tend to happen quite often because guys are trying to impress you on an almost constant basis. 

When I married Scott, I knew I wasn't marrying a hopeless romantic. I knew I wasn't marrying a macho man either, so I thought the balance would be good. He would keep me grounded in reality instead of drifting away into the magical land where love is all you need, yet he would be thoughtful enough to watch chick flicks with me, cuddle, and never forget an anniversary or birthday... For me to still be woo-ed from time to time. 

I have tried to make Scott be a hopeless romantic... Tried to get him to write me love letters, tried to have him keep a "couple's journal"with me. Made an "I Love You Because..." erasable frame so that we would write specific things we loved about each other on a daily basis, among many others attempts. Let me tell you, it doesn't work. But did I really think it would?? 

However, I realized that he has always done romantic things, but I was too worried about it being just like the movies and I missed it. He has been a "romantic" since the day I met him, but just not always in the way I was looking for.

So, I decided to make a list of some of the things I remember him doing that meant so much to me, made me feel like the girl in any chick flick. 

1. Came home from class one day and he had printed a bunch of our engagement pictures, framed them, and put them up in our apartment. 
2. Got me flowers and left a note with them in the bathroom so I'd see them when I woke up telling me he hadn't wanted to wake me so he got me these instead when he was sick and couldn't sleep.
3. Came home from work to flowers and a baguette from my favorite French bakery for absolutely no reason but to let me know he was thinking about me while I was away. 
4. Sent me a package when I was visiting my family in France before we got engaged. It included a mixed CD for our next road trip, a bracelet he made for me, a framed picture of us from a month before and a letter. 
5. Came home from work to a home made dinner with Sparkling Apple Cider and candles for no reason what-so-ever. 
6. Stopped me and had me run over to him so that he could slow dance with me on the water front to the music that was playing through the restaurant's speakers. 
7. Surprised me with a hotel stay on a random Friday night. He brought our BluRay player and the movie we were watching when he held my hand for the first time (Yes Man) and sparkling apple cider. I had NO clue we were staying there until he handed me the room key at the hotel. 
8. Brought me tea in bed when I was sick on our moving trip to Seattle
9. Sang to me while star gazing 
10. Asks me to cuddle with him any time he can tell I'm upset or sad about anything.
11. Played the song from our wedding and danced with me in the living room.
12. Picked me up from work with a package from Barney's on the seat (There's no Barney's in Seattle). When I opened it, there was a note that said, "A gift so you never forget our trip to Chicago. Love you to Lake Michigan and back! Scott" I opened it to find a bottle of lotion that I LOVE from our stay at the Park Hyatt in Chicago a year earlier.







I sure did get a great guy, and am so excited to see him teach our son what it means to be a real man. 



No comments:

Post a Comment